Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Americana on display

Yesterday my host brother, Raul, had friends over at the apartment. To give him space, I went into my room with Nikki and started doing some homework. A few minutes later, there was a knock on our door and Raul introduced us to the three friends who were there. They looked at us with wide eyes and smiles and for a few minutes i felt like an animal being started at in a zoo! Ive been able to walk to streets relatively unnoticed, but here i was being shown immediatly shown as "the Americana who lives with me." I snapped out of my deer-in-the-headlights stare and asked the a few questions like, "how do you like school," and "how old are you?" One boy responded boldly "14!" in English. I had to laugh and I appreciated his enthusiasm at trying speak my language since i was trying to speak his. It was a funny experience and as much as I would like try and blend in here, there's no denying I'm an American :)

No comments:

Post a Comment