Thursday, June 7, 2012

Similitudes en la Cultura

Before going abroad, the people in charge of our program try to prepare you for the culture shock and the amount of differences that there will be when you get to Spain.  I read up on Granada and Spanish culture and prepared myself for stepping into another world.  I will get into the differences later, but I was very surprised at the amount of similarities there were.   The way i live in the U.S is similar to a conservative Spanish lifestyle in someways.  Like it says don't be surprised if your host mom only does  laundry once a week.  That's how my mom does it!  That was not an adjustment for me, but for my roommate that's not something she grew up with. Another thing im used to is olive oil and sliced bread being a part of almost every dish I've ever eaten.  Eggs, tomatoes and mozzarella making up a majority of the meals is also a huge comfort. Also eating dinner (or lunch in this case) and having food served family style at a table with everyone around it is too. I also can't help but smile when I see Mickey mouse on my shower curtain at my host familys house.  Theres a lot that's Americanized. There's a dunkin droughts, dominos and a McDonald's, very glad I don't have to see that everyday otherwise it'd really throw me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment