Wednesday, October 9, 2013

     I had my second, first day of class at my OFFICIAL school today!  It was a big change, but I think it will be better for me in the long run.  I am with one group of kids and only 2 teachers as opposed to a whole jumble of different classes. I think with my desire to be a teacher in the future, this will allow me to work more on lesson plans and dealing with middle school children.  At my old school, we were used more as a “Foreigner prop.”  We answered questions and just kind of enforced that there are native English speakers out there.  At my new school, they were very excited to find out that I graduated with a teaching degree.  My English teacher immediately divided the class in half and sent me to an empty classroom with 15 kids saying, “Heres the book, we’re starting lesson 3.” The Spanish method of teaching is all about improvisation I’ve noticed.  No lesson plans to turn in, just straight from the book. The teachers don’t worry about being politically correct or humiliation of students.  Updates to continue…

        As I learn more about the curriculum I’ll let you know if my theory changes.  The teachers spoke specifically in Spanish to me, which was good because I need to improve.  All in all my observations have led me to believe we need a fusion of American culture and Spanish culture because they seem to be quite different extremes.  Spaniards think we’re workaholics, but complain that their people are lazy.  I have to justify every indulgent decision I make, they say, “Why not?”   


       As I am continuing my life in Madrid, I have noticed and become aware of so many different things.  Whether they are different or similar, I have to address a couple of things that I am already sick of seeing…Number one being dog poop.  Trying to avoid this on the sidewalks is not pleasant and I can actually smell it.  So gross.  Another gross thing?  People making out everywhere.  Call me bitter, but I walk around a lot and every 20 feet there’s a couple kissing passionately.  Doesn’t matter if its 2 p.m. or 2 a.m. its all the same.  First couple of times I thought, “Aw that’s nice,” now it’s, “Don’t you have somewhere to be?!”  

My weekend starts Friday :) hope everyone else is doing well 

No comments:

Post a Comment