Sunday, November 10, 2013

Feliz Halloween y Bonfire Night!

      Yes they do indeed celebrate Halloween here, but they celebrate the more scary aspects of the tradition.  Little children still dress up and trick or treat, but as you get older the costumes become more of a spooky disguise and you don’t want to be recognized.  Very different from the American tradition of having a sexier costume as you get older…I spent my Halloween at my American friends house party dressed up with my friend Jessica.  She was the devil and I was hellfire, so we tried to mix the Spanish and American aspects of the holiday! 





     It was a fun weekend and the kids were excited to be out of school the next day.  I think that should be mandatory.  The day after Halloween (All saint’s Day) should be off.  I know it’s a religious holiday, but we can celebrate it for the good of all faiths right?!  At my school, we celebrated Bonfire Night, which I had never heard of before.   It’s a British Holiday on the 5th of November that is about Guy Fawkes, a man who tried to blow up the King and Parliament.  Us English speaking teachers were required to create a play with the children to help teach them about the celebration.  Its quite gruesome!  The Brit’s who I have met explained to me that people make a dummy of Guy Fawkes and imitate him being burned at the stake!  They throw him in a huge bonfire, and set off fireworks as a reminder never to commit treason.  Nowadays it’s more of an excuse to drink and light off fireworks, however that’s the origin of the holiday.  Interesting all the things I’m learning.    




     I’m also learning the differences between British English and American English, which is more different than I assumed.  I’ll be reading a lecture to my Spanish pupils and come across a sentence that I’m sure is a typo.  For example, “What did you do at the weekend?”  At the weekend?  No no, that can’t be right, Silly Spaniard’s let me ‘splain it to ya!  It’s ON the weekend, what did you do ON the weekend.  Come to find out that’s how the British say it.  They also don’t use the word “gotten” its “I have got,” which took a little getting used to when I explained it to the students.  Good thing their grammar is better than mine.  Im generally used more for pronunciation and and translation.  Except in art class where I have practically been given free reign!!!  I come up with assignments with my co-teacher, Leli, and she lets me walk around the class and explain things as I want.  My co-teachers and I are becoming more cohesive and the students and I are creating more of a bond.  Whenever it comes to helping me out or working with me one on one, they are very eager to participate. 




     All in all I am very much enjoying my time here and, now that I’m settled, I can continue exploring.  Right now I am sitting in the airport on my way to Paris!!!  Corrine, a family friend, is studying abroad in Paris and I thought it would be a great opportunity to see her as well as explore a city I’m not familiar with.  Then we will go exploring to Barcelona the next weekend…
                

No comments:

Post a Comment